Everyone is safe after a gas leak caused Wal-mart to evacuate this evening. A little before 9 p.m. employees at the Rack Room Shoes smelled a store odor of gas in the building and called 9-1-1 and evacuated the building. Westfield firefighters stationed across the street arrived moments later. Their gas alarms went and began searching for the leak. Once behind the Wal-mart firefighters found a ruptured pipe and began to fix the leak. In the meantime, Wal-mart and Five Below evacuated approximately 100 people from their buildings. Everyone made it out safe.
Within 20 minutes, firefighters had the leak temporarily repaired. When Vectren Gas crews arrived they went to work and eventually deemed the buildings safe for business. Wal-mart reopened within an hour and the two remaining buildings closed for the evening.