WESTFIELD, Ind.—Westfield firefighters saved yet another home from disaster today at 55 West Worman Street. The problem started this morning after a woman relit a fire in her fireplace. Shortly after, the woman noticed smoke billowing out of the fireplace and ran to the neighbor’s to call 9-1-1.
Firefighters arrived shortly after 10 a.m. and saw fire on the first floor and attic. They quickly went to work: gaining access to the fire and extinguishing it. It would take about 30 minutes for firefighters to deem the fire under control and let investigators begin their work.
After their investigation, they believe the fire was caused by a malfunctioning fireplace and estimated damages at 30,000 dollars.
“Today’s another story of a family and home saved by the quick efforts of our firefighters,” said John Barrett fire department spokesperson. “But with three chimney fires in the last month, it drives home the need for families to have their chimneys inspected by a professional every year.”
Westfield firefighters were also assisted by fire stations from Sheridan, Carmel, and Noblesville. Along with no one in the home being hurt, there were also no firefighter injuries.