WESTFIELD, Ind.—A gas leak at the Brookside subdivision spurred an evacuation of nearby homes today. Westfield firefighters were called to 3910 Chancellors Court when a contractor accidentally struck a 2-inch gas main on a home under construction. Firefighters immediately shut down access to the roadway and evacuated a few homes for safety. They continued to monitor the leak—protecting nearby homes with hoses and monitoring air quality.
Vectren Gas arrived shortly after, but needed additional crews to fix the leak. These additional crews would arrive within two hours and correct the problem. Firefighters then deemed the area safe, began allowing people back to their homes, and reopened the roadway. Vectren Gas will remain at the home for a few hours to complete repairs.