Electrical Fire at Westfield Preschool Causes Scare – Children and Staff Evacuate Safely

WESTFIELD, Ind.—This morning, children and staff at the Rainbow Child Development Preschool at 17457 Gunther Boulevard had a scare when they began to smell smoke coming from an electrical room. The staff went into action, evacuating the children safely and calling 9-1-1.

“The staff and children did such a great job getting out of the building and staying away from danger,” said John Barrett spokesperson for the Westfield Fire Department. “This is exactly why we encourage all schools and daycares to plan and practice evacuation drills.”

Firefighter Josh Southerland shows children the inside of a fire truck after a small electrical fire at Rainbow Child Development Preschool.

Firefighters arrived shortly after to find light smoke in the building near an electrical room. During their search, they found a burnt phone panel in a utility room. With the fire out, they combed the building for additional fire and found nothing. Firefighters then used high speed fans to remove all the smoke from the building. And before returning to school, the children had an unexpected surprise when firefighters gave the children a tour of their fire trucks. Fire investigators estimate the damage to the building at $1,500.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Electrical Fire at Westfield Preschool Causes Scare – Children and Staff Evacuate Safely

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s